[meteorite-list] Brachinites & NWA 4882

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 20:18:27 -0500

Hello Dirk and List,

Dirk, since you would like to promote brachinite material, here is a little
insight you may not be aware of:

NWA 4882 Brachinite (unpaired) - I have made private sales several months
PRIOR to Martin's public offering, at much less than their great price per
gram. I know MY customers are very happy with their greatly discounted rate!
I simply do not have time to offer all of the different and new meteorites I
have at one time publicly, AND I am not trying to interfer with their sales,
but since Dirk brought this out in what I perceive in a negative tone, here
is one heck of a Brachinite for serious collections:

Click here to view complete slice of NWA 4882 measuring 130mm wide!

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4882/nwa4882slice.jpg

Click here to view complete NWA 4882 stone before cutting:

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4882/nwa4882.jpg

Click here to view close-up of polished NWA 4882 matrix:

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4882/nwa4882closeup.jpg

Official Classification:
Northwest Africa 4882

Algeria

Find: July 2007

Achondrite (brachinite)

History: Purchased by Greg Hup? in July 2007 from a dealer in Tagounite,
Morocco.

Physical characteristics: Two dense, dark brown, broken rounded stones (2891
g and 206 g) with weathered fusion crust on some original exterior surfaces
and thin desert varnish coatings on hackly broken surfaces.

Petrography: (A. Irving and S. Kuehner, UWS) Coarse-grained rock (mostly
0.2-0.8 mm) with protogranular texture, composed predominantly of olivine
with subordinate green, Cr-bearing diopside, K-poor plagioclase, chromite,
iron sulfide, and kamacite (partially altered to iron hydroxides).
Plagioclase is interstitial to mafic silicates and is heterogeneous in
distribution. Very fine-grained (2-10 ?m), polyphase assemblages composed
mostly of orthopyroxene, Ni-bearing pyrrhotite and Ni-free metal with
variable amounts of fayalite and chromite occur around larger pyrrhotite
grains within olivine, and also as small, isolated apparent inclusions
within olivine.

Geochemistry: Olivine (Fa35.0-35.2, FeO/MnO = 70.9-71.3), clinopyroxene
(Fs9.3Wo47.1, FeO/MnO = 38.6, Cr2O3 = 0.76wt%, Al2O3 = 1.05 wt%),
plagioclase (An32.1- 37.6Or0.3-0.5), chromite [Cr/(Cr + Al) = 0.717, Mg/(Mg
+ Fe) = 0.239, TiO2 = 0.71 wt%, ZnO = 0.30 wt%]. Oxygen isotopes: (D.
Rumble, CIW) Replicate analyses of acid-washed silicate material by laser
fluorination gave, respectively, ?18O = 2.064, 2.095; ?17O = 4.368, 4.455;
?17O = -0.234, -0.248 per mil.

Classification: Achondrite (brachinite).

Specimens: A total of 20.4 g of sample and one polished thin section are on
deposit at UWS. GHup? holds the main mass (actually now in a private
collection).

I sent this to a professional cutter who used a wire saw and cut these at
3mm thick and polished to a high luster. If you want a large museum quality
specimen at an even BETTER rate, be sure to contact me off list.

I have already placed over half of this material into large collections,
which only leaves 15 slices and the 206g fragment. Half are the larger
slices like the one featured above.

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe