[meteorite-list] The "asteroid" that killed the dinosaurs

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:22:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all, and Elton in particular-

I stopped in yesterday at U. of Illinois and chatted
with Dr. Susan Kieffer of their geology department,
the source for the story of the "asteroid" that killed
the dinosaurs and the "comet" that formed Sudbury.
Despite the fact that they were in finals, she
generously shared a few minutes of her time with me
and gave me some reprints that explained what had
happened.

Her involvement began when Walter Alvarez was looking
for some help with the global distribution of shocked
quartz from the KT impact, and was hitting some
problems with ejecta energies, and particularly with
the problem that the shocked quartz was ejected
without melting. They published their conclusions in
Science, 18 August 1995.

Elton, this may strike you as unusual, but they had
no knowledge of the physics of armor piercing shaped
charges, in particular the transport mechanics of
them.
Tektite and impact spherule formation were not covered
in much depth.

(I reattach Elton's earlier note on this to the list
to this message.)

Now we have the "blueberries" on Mars to examine along
with tons of horse manure from NASA about water and
their formation to wade through as well.

So Elton, you're not the only one having problems with
the math - Dr. Alvarez had problems with it as well,
and given that he was one of the nations top nuclear
physicists, that's damn hard math.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas