[meteorite-list] Steve Arnold's Famous Reverse Auction

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:10:38 -0700

Steve, Michael & all
        The reason this is called a Dutch Auction is it is how ALL the
Dutch auctions are conducted in selling Tulips and Tulip Bulbs
In Holland - far from a "circus act" (nor is it "stupid") they
Supply ALL of the WORLDS demand for Tulips and Tulip bulbs.
Millions of dollars a year are exchanged within this format.
        I have always been amazed eBay has bastardized the term, "Dutch
Auction" and defined it as auctioning multiples of a given item.... How odd.
        Doing this on Ebay would require exactly what you mentioned,
Steve - Offering it at a "Buy it now" price and announcing in the
description that the price would be lowered 10% (or whatever %)
Per day at a specific time (Midnight, CA time would be good - so would
Noon, for that matter), That way, everything would be sold within
10 days.
        You might mention that after a certain % of the items you are
offering are sold, all other auctions will be withdrawn, if that is your
intent - otherwise, withdrawing auctions would seem unethical to me.
        Steve, I suggest you notify your email buyer's list as opposed to
Posting the "the list" more than twice - once when it starts and a day or
So before you anticipate closing the remaining auctions. This would keep
The advertising within list regs - even if the 2 times are less than a week
Apart, it would seem OK, since you by no means abuse the frequency of
Advertising rule.
        I look foreword to your auctions.
        Best wishes, Michael PS: This might be fun to do with one or two
Items in The Tucson Auction next year.