[meteorite-list] Pass those cards along

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:18:20 -0700

Here is a slightly revised post I sent to the IMCA list. It inspired some
great dialogue and hopefully it will do the same here on the Met-List:

Now that provenance is a larger issue than ever, I have been reorganizing my
specimen cards from past purchases and updating spreadsheets to include more
ridiculously detailed info on past purchases (chain of ownership, purchase
date, trade date, blood type of dealer, etc.). My suggestion is this: *When
available*, please pass the original dealer card(s) with the sale or trade
of a specimen. Some of you already do this. I have begun writing the chain
of ownership on the back of all my cards. Some can even be traced through 4
or 5 dealers. If cutting a larger piece up, I would recommend making copies
of the specimen card to send along. I think this applies more to historical
specimens than anything. I don't expect to see chain of ownership on a rusty
Canyon Diablo, but it certainly wouldn't hurt! I know this topic has been
covered on the list in the past, but I still rarely see multiple specimen
cards with a purchase. I also believe that non-dealers/collectors should
include a specimen card for that occasional sale or upgrade as well. You can
make great specimen cards through Microsoft Excel! I'm sure that collectors
100 years from now will appreciate it.

Your thoughts are important.

Cheers,

Mike Bandli