[meteorite-list] King Tut Meteorite

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:32:14 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings, Great photos Bob! #3 is a remarkable cross section of a heat shield form of orientation. Which suggests that the temperature "signature" of the shielded portion might be deciphered. The flow which pooled to the sheltered area is about as full of vesicles as I have ever seen only surpassed in one of the lunars.

When the melt has time to come to a boil-- so to speak, are there additional gases released from the meteorite's matrix or does this represent some atmospheric mixing / frothing. The frothing seems to increase with later deposits. Anyone have thoughts on the dynamics of how this unique crust formed and perhaps the duration? A percentage of mass has been moved into the sheltered zone and I wonder how long it took to pool there then come to a boil.

On the other hand, the sudden presence of the vesicles near the rear surface might be reflect a correlation to a thicker atmosphere toward the end of flight.

Inquiring minds...
Elton