[meteorite-list] Pronouncing Willamette and other meteoritenames

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 01:33:57 -0400

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 00:18:37 -0500, you wrote:

>The great dictionarianist Samuel Johnson
>described it as the sound of a goose hissing!
>I suppose it depends on how angry the Welsh
>speaker is at English dictionarianists...

What I meant by that was not that I expected the "real" pronounciation of Lloyd
to bey "Yoyd", but just that I usually-- for a word I haven't heard pronounced
aloud-- "hear" it as following the "typical" English pronounciation for the
spelling unless conciously thinking about the country of origin. Before
tonight, it simply never crossed my mind to pronounce Allende with a "y". (And
I'm probably even worse off with names in languages even more distant from
English). Never mind things like Australia's Millivanilli meteorite.