[meteorite-list] Another New Jersey Hammer

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:58:08 -0400

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/artillery-shrapnel-hits-house-kills-cat/20080414150209990001

Hello Listees and Listors,

Thought this story was interesting from a few parallels ...

In famous New Jersey, funny iron objects once again.

A shrapnel fragment of a kilogram mass made a noise outside and then
penetrated the roof of this house and landed on the bed of a startled
young woman. Unfortunately, her cat was in the bed and was killed as a
result. The girl usually would have been there but luck had her in
another place. ( ... the "odds" of that!)

The Army fessed up and will pay the family big bucks for the intrusion
and loss (shades of meteoriticism). Seems they were testing a safer
way to dispose of artillery shells - ironically - at their base over
three kilometers away.

Now, I wonder if the last funny metal object in New Jersey which had
initially been mistakenly authenticated at (I recall it was) Rutgers
University had anything in common. Just goes to show, people don't
always make up this sort of nonsense. Nice photo of the shrapnel in
the article. Deja vu...

Best wishes and great health
Doug