[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - March 26, 2008 /Ques

From: Bob Loeffler <bobl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:48:30 -0600

Hi Doug,

This reply is extremely late, so I'm including most of the original e-mails
so everyone will remember what we were talking about.

My definition of a "hammer" is a meteorite that directly hits a person or
man-made object, but others' definitions may be different. No matter who or
what it hit, meteorites are still really cool. :-)

If it indirectly hit a person after directly hitting a tree, I don't
consider that a hammer. Maybe we can differentiate between the two, like
"direct hammer" and "indirect hammer" or "primary hammer" and "secondary
hammer"? Is there are real (accepted) definition of a hammer? Does it have
to do damage? Or can it gently roll up onto a doormat and come to rest? We
need a real definition! ;-)

The one that hit that lady was a hammer, but not because it hit her. It
crashed through her roof first. That made it a hammer. After that, it can
hit whatever it wants to, but that doesn't change the fact that it hit the
roof first.

Regards,

Bob