[meteorite-list] Update on suspected fireball !

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:41:19 -0400

Hi all,

I have had a chance to get a little more information on a reported
fireball. The suspected fire ball was seen coming across the valley and
hit into a hillside,witnessed by two guys herding cattle at night. The
fireball broke up twice before hitting the hillside and appeared to
burn out before hitting . The large dust cloud appeared within a few
seconds on the hillside. The dust cloud was around 6-7 miles from their
location. They were not able to ride to the hillside until the
following day. They went to the general location but found nothing. I
have received some great emails regarding this fireball. A few things
list members suggest I ask the witnesses; Did the fireball explode and
any sounds heard? appear to burn out or continue to burn upon impact?
was it witnessed from different locations? The one witness heard no
sound or explosion from the fireball, but saw the dust cloud and
fireball go down below the horizon on his side of the ridge. I have not
been able to contact the second witness yet. I'm working on contacting
him and going to the location. If a meteorite hit in the area, how many
people would know what to look for? It could have buried itself, or
broke up into many pieces! On the other hand, it could be miles from
the location. It might be a waste of time looking, but may be
worthwhile to check out a new area and maybe find something.

Sonny

www.nevadameteorites.com