[meteorite-list] It was intuition ? OK ?

From: Norbert Classen <riffraff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:38:59 +0200

Dear Moni, and All,

> And last if someone does have been mislead and the person is
> not a member of the met-list or the IMCA, I still hope the info
> would be listed on the sites, so we will all be aware of the dealings.

The IMCA will certainly do so as soon a we have solid proof. That's not
always that easy in cases of alleged misrepresentation of specimens, and we
are not in the position to accuse anyone of fraud or misrepresentation
unless we have such proof. Unfortunatelly, sometimes we only have strong
suspicions, or pieces of circumstantial evidence...

In the case in question we are still in the process of investigating the
facts - we contacted museums and collectors that could have served as
sources of said specimens, for example. And we learned that even Museum and
University records are often not reliable or complete. Take Bialystok, for
instance: we found that the Museum of Berlin sold/traded out some 30g of
Bialystok, but when, and to whom? The current curator had no answer to this,
and so there could be quite a bit real Bialystok around...

I just mentioned Bialystok because Martin already mentioned it in a previous
email. There are other examples, and cases that we checked into, but I won't
tell our findings in public as long as the seller in question is reading all
of this, and could misuse that information. You see our dilemma? So, if you
want to contribute to our investigation - we are always open for your input.

Last but not least, be assured that we will keep you up to date, and that we
will tell you "the end of the story", if we ever come to an end.

All the best,
Norbert Classen
President, IMCA Inc.

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

Hello All,

Norbert wrote:[Yes, we are aware of that - and that's our major concern.
We've also been doing some independent "research" on the
specimens/meteorites in question, and if you would like to add to our
database, please contact us on or off list.]

Just be sure if it is still related to all the posts to keep it public and
not start off list debates.
Some of us like to hear the end of the story.
Thank you!

Dave, even if a seller is outside of IMCA does not imply he/she is a shady
seller.
Just write to the list and ask about this person.
Some very successful dealers are not members of the IMCA.

It would be wonderful if the IMCA will take a stand of getting
misrepresentations cleared up though.
And I do believe this is already happening like Norbert mentioned.

But then again would we have heard of it if it wasn't for Mike Bandli asking
questions?
It is good information if this problem is made aware to all of us and not
kept it secret between some members.

And last if someone does have been mislead and the person is not a member of
the met-list or the IMCA, I still hope the info would be listed on the
sites, so we will all be aware of the dealings.

With best regards,
Moni