[meteorite-list] It was intuition ? OK ?

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:52:50 -0400

>Other thoughts?

Hi Martin,

Here are my thoughts and opinion.

>"This meteorite is guaranteed to be authentic or your
>money back !!"

The word "or" bothers me. It's a hedge.

This statement should NEVER appear on a meteorite sale listing, be it
auction, retail or whatever. Either it is a meteorite, or it isn't and if
the seller isn't sure, the seller should say so.

Think about it. It is certainly acceptable to offer a refund for various
reasons, but it is not acceptable to offer a refund because the meteorite
you are selling is not really a meteorite, or the meteorite which claim it
to be. How much sense does that make? None!

IMHO, anyone who buys a meteorite under those circumstances is asking for
trouble.

Either it is a meteorite or it is not and if you are not 100% sure it is
what you claim it is, then you don't need to be presenting it as such and
selling it as such.

I am astounded anyone would buy a meteorite with that disclaimer. I am just
now beginning to build back up my collection. Only reputable dealers and
sources will get my money and I certainly won't be spending money on
auctions or retailers where I have to prove authenticity to get a refund.

The onus is not on the buyer to prove it is a meteorite, it is on the
seller.

BTW, Martin, nice to see you writing on the list again. How is Big Sky
Country?

-Walter Branch