[meteorite-list] What Started It All...?

From: Eric Wichman <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:40:23 -0700

This is a two fold Statement/Question. It could mean "What started it
all! referring to my meteorite collection and adventures, or it could
mean something way more profound than my insignificant little
explanation... I'll leave it for you to decide.

Some people have asked me what got me into meteorites. I've combined
some old posts from my old list, and my original post with some updated
info. Here it is...

What do I love about meteorites? Short quick and dirty answer, EVERYTHING!

The long answer... I love meteorites because of what they are, what they
mean, and where they come from. I love meteorites because they are part
of something way bigger than I am but I can hold them in the palm of my
hand. I love meteorites because they make me wonder more about the
origins of EVERYTHING!

<b>My Meteorite Obsession:</b> It all started way back in August of 2007
when my girlfriend bought me my first meteorite. From there I started my
first meteorite site MeteoriteWatch.com to showcase my meteorite and new
found hobby. UPDATE: Since then, the site has evolved into something
much more than a personal site about meteorites. My newfound hobby
turned into and addiction and the addiction turned into a full blown
obsession!

I found myself asking the same old questions with new insight. How long
did it take our planet to form? Where did all the material come from?
What makes a planet form in the first place? Is our planet actually
growing? What's at the core of our planet? How long does the Earth have
left in it's planetary life cycle?

This is why I love meteorites, because they can answer all these
questions and more. They may even be able to tell us how life got here
and ultimately where we come from! The possibility is there.

That is amazing!

I think that is why most people become researchers, scientists,
physicists, cosmologists, and all the other related fields have one
thing in common. They look for answers to the bigger question. Where are
we from, and why are we here?

Too deep? Maybe, but hey you asked for it... ;)

Here are a few excerpts from an article I wrote for my meteorite dealer
site.

<b>The Popularity Of Meteorites:</b> Meteorites are ever increasing in
popularity. Over the last few years more and more people are realizing
the potential of meteorites. Intrinsically speaking meteorites are one
of the very few things on this planet that ALL people can relate to. I
don't know anyone that isn't fascinated by a meteorite once they hold
one in their hand. There's something about meteorites that just make you
"want" to hold it, and it give you some sense of knowledge.

Read my article simply titled "11 Reasons Everyone Should Own A
Meteorite." http://www.meteoritewatch.com/mw/node/20

<b>Meteorites As Art:</b> Many people view meteorites with an artistic
eye. Meteorites are beautiful pieces of art from space and some sell for
massive amounts of money. As meteorites grow in popularity so will this
area of the industry. Bonhams' New York natural history auctions off
some meteorites for as much as $105,000.00. This is a huge amount of
money for a rock from space.

<b>The Demand For Meteorites Is High:</b> As the popularity of
meteorites grows, so too does the price. The are only so many meteorites
on the planet, as more and more people buy meteorites, the supply will
dwindle, demand will grow and the price for your average iron, or
pallasite, will rise substantially. These treasured rocks from space are
highly sought after by collectors and dealers alike and the price is
only going to rise as more and more people buy them up. Take a look at
the latest fall in Carancas, Peru. This chondrite is extremely valuable.
Meteorite hunters and dealers traveled from all over the world to pick
up pieces of this meteorite before it was all grabbed up. Now these
specimens go for as much as $100 per gram or more. There are very few
pieces of this meteorite available on the market right now.

On a lighter note I like meteorites because they are a way for me to do
what I like to do, travel, search, find, treasure hunt, adventure, and
learning. I sell meteorites so I can collect, to finance my adventure,
travels and equipment. Adventure unfortunately costs money, and
meteorites afford me that fun!

Hope this answers all your questions... ;)

So, I answered! What do meteorites mean to you?

Post Your Answers Here: http://www.meteoritewatch.com/mw/node/21

Regards,
Eric
MW