[meteorite-list] NEW Argentina Meteorite Law

From: McCartney Taylor <mccartney_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:42:00 -0500

Yes, Eduardo is correct. There is a new law in Argentina that makes all new FALLS and FINDS national property. Technically, it makes them 'cultural heritage artifacts'. This means they will fall under UNESCO laws and they can issue Interpol arrest warrants that are recognized by most countries. Argentina has a track record of aggressively hunting down fossil dealers who illegally export fossils which also are 'cultural heritage artifacts'. They have issued int'l warrants and nabbed fossil dealers. This is one country you don't want to cross.

Do not confuse their ability to enforce a NATIONAL law with the ineffective Chaco provincial law that was supposed to stop Campos from leaving the province.

I went to Santa Lucia last month to recover the January 24, 2008 fall. I had great success in recovering both material (2.23kg) and data (GPS and 1.25 hours of video) on the fall. What I didn't know was that in December 2007 a new law was passed. I've been in contact with the government to find a good solution the situation. They knew the law was new and that I likely didn't know about it. So far, the government has been quite resonable, and they care about meteorites and their conservation. I will likely return some of my material, for the greater good of the meteorite community with Argentina. As a member of IMCA, I believe I need to follow a very ethical path to benefit all who come after me.

If the meteorite community behaves properly as new law is interpreted, we can influence the law to go the way of Canada or Australia and not down the path of the Dark Side like India. I have strongly suggested to them that they offer rewards on new falls, not just seize them like India. If we do this right, we may be allowed in on new falls working with the National Museum. If we do this wrong, meteorite collectors will become a plague to them and they will hunt us and arrest us in the future.

Please, just let this fall go, and let Eduardo and I establish the ground rules with the Argentine government.

-mt
IMCA 2760