[meteorite-list] Meteorites, Ice and Antartica

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:48:36 -0400

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 22:24:28 -0400, you wrote:

>Speaking of meteorite books...
>
>The first 81 pages of William Cassidy's Meteorite, Ice and Antarctica can be
>found at Google books.

Wow, another meteorite book with skyrocketing prices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0521258723/

When I bought my copy, used ones cost around 5 bucks. I figured that the price
would be similar or lower now, but nope.

Crazy, the range of asking prices for books. I usually go for used hardbacks (I
especially like ex-public library books because I like the mylar sleeves over
the dust jackets). With any given book with a fair press run, prices may range
from people expecting less than a dollar to more than 100 dollars for the same
edition. Of course, condition matters, but not 100x, and with grading being
subjective to the seller, they are all pretty much equal sight-unseen anyway.

Here's a book I bought when it was first published, had my copy water-damaged,
looked for a replacement, and saw that used prices were double the price I paid
for it new. So I wait. A few weeks back, copies show up from a couple of
sellers for under 6 bucks a copy. I snatch one up. Brand new copy. I looked
just now out of curiosity. Back up to 2x the original new price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0945005253/