[meteorite-list] Effect of fall of dollar against Euro/ dirham's

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:59:32 -0400

On the comments on why the Europeans have not picked up too much slack
that resulted from the erosion of US buying power:

Dear Listees,

Just a stab, but the European (Franco-Germanic) buying culture seems
much less speculative (more conservative) than the corresponding
American (Las Vegas) buying culture. When the pressure is put on the
speculators in any market, sales tend to get sluggish as no one wants
to take paper losses and the market simply looses its momentum.

The situation I see is that a few grams (or disturbingly, milligrams)
weekly are used as price benchmarks for tons of material, and in plenty
of cases in sales to buyers who are not "market-savvy". The nice man
(or lady) that sells you the piece claims that it is worth millions -
just trust them and appeals to our love of space and astronomy (how
could we possibly say no?!). How is that for investment advice?

In such overall economic slowdowns, situations price normally
re-adjusts lower and the demand picks up, people grumble a bit, some
get caught with their pants down, some new ones appear who are better
suited, and everyone remaining gets back to figuring how to make money.
  But since meteorites are so far from being a perfect market,
macroeconomics becomes a square peg in a round market.

So hopefully, everyone just relaxes and acquires whatever makes them
happy with offers they consider fair, and to relieve some pressures,
speculators avoid counting all their chickens before they hatch.

That's my stab at it. As meteorites are not an investment approved by
the Securities and Exchange commission, no 10-K or proxy statement is
in the works and it's still each man (and woman) for themself...

One thing is a safe bet: If you truly love meteorites, everything is
just fine. These are great times to be alive...

Best wishes and Great Health
Doug