[meteorite-list] "How Do You Know It's A Meteorite"?

From: Anita D. Westlake <libawc_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:50:58 -0400

I usually get that question when I'm talking about Lunar or Martian
meteorites. I tell them "We know it's lunar because we've been there. We can
compare what we've found on earth with what was collected on the moon."

For Martian meteorites it's not as simple. I tell them "We're 98% sure it's
Martian because we've sent up space probes that have chemically analyzed the
Martian atmosphere. These rocks match those chemical isotopes. A terrestrial
rock would not match. That seems to silence even the loudest argument.

Anita