[meteorite-list] Auction at Bonhams on April 30 in New York.

From: Mark Grossman <markig_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 10:36:07 -0400

I've bid on several items - autograph letters of scientists - in auctions
overseas (the Netherlands and Australia), and it's similar to the rules to
follow with meteorite or any other dealers - know who you are dealing with
and ask plenty of questions. In one Australian auction, I heard of the
problem with expensive shipping costs - that appears to be how many auction
houses make part of their money - they subcontract the shipping to an
expensive shipper - I obtained an estimate of the shipping costs before
bidding, and the final cost for shipping agreed with the quote. In another
auction in the Netherlands, I submitted an absentee bid, and won
significantly below my maximum bid.

I know Bonhams is a well-known acution house, although I have never bid with
them, but just because they are well known, doesn't mean that everything
will go smoothly.

Best thing, as Timothy mentions, is to inspect the merchandise before the
bidding if at all possible and get a quote for the shipping. If you can't
attend, don't bid too much and ask plenty of questions and for photos. If
you don't get satisfactory answwers, don't bid. The good acution houses
will accomodate your questions.

If I did not take the chance to bid on many of the overseas items sight
unseen, I wouldn't have some great items in my collection. So, you have to
way the costs and benefits.

Just my two cents.

Mark Grossman