[meteorite-list] Atmospheric ablation marks on Tektites?

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 11:33:49 -0400

On "regmaglypts" in LDG...

Sean M. wrote:

"I called them "Pseudo" in the description, because, well, there is
still a lot of debate about them being formed from traveling through
the atmosphere"

Hello,

"Still a lot of debate"? Could you kindly elaborate where atmospheric
aerodynamic shaping for LDG ever was (maybe) or stilli is (huh??) being
seriously debated by anyone who can tell the difference between a
tektite and a chard of a beer bottle?

==>With so many tons and never an inkling of any fusion crust or other
surface shaping?
==>With a water content indicating the glass was not formed in space
like other tektites.

In answer to the prior question, regmaglypts are usually formed dues to
differences in material as the theory goes (edges of sharp breaks get
rounded, but those shapes aren't regmaglypts - and variation of true
regmaglypting rates during its removal during ablation. Meanwhile,
tektites, and for that matter LDG is essentially uniform so the
mechanism to form regmaglypts would have to be by thinking a bit more
out of the box...

Best wishes,
Doug