[meteorite-list] foreword from Kevin Kichinka

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 20:49:52 -0700

Michael:

I can't post to the m-list. Please forward this for me. - Kevin

Hola a Costa Rica:

Many list members know I have been living here at nine degrees north
on the side of the active Poas Volcano for more four years now. Life
is good. Only a few months ago did the modern wonder of high-speed
Internet service reach into the coffee fields that surround "La
Quintana de Costa Rica" giving me the capability to again link up with
my friends.

Presently, I have been exchanging emails with my friend Gonzalo
Pereira who is an astronomer at the planetarium associated with
Universidad de San Andres in La Paz, Bolivia.

In a recent Reuters news story, it was mentioned that a scientist from
San Andres was at the alleged Peruvian meteorite crater and I wondered
if it could be he- then a few hours later an email arrives from
Gonzalo writing me from near that crater. It's a wonderful world.

Blaine Reed and I met Gonzalo in 1999 and spent time again with him in
2001 as he aided us in our successful search for Sevaruyo H5,
Bolivia's first authenticated meteorite. Blaine left behind for the
people of Bolivia a massive number of meteorites than grew to become
the "Blaine Reed Meteorite Collection" the largest in Bolivia. All of
this is documented in my book, "The Art of Collecting Meteorites".
Gonzalo has intensely studied meteorites subsequent to all this to
become Bolivia's residing expert in the field.

Here are excerpts from his messages transmitted to me while he was at
and near the possible crater. Be patient with his English as Gonzalo
is self-taught in a place where Aymara, Quechuan and lastly, Spanish,
are the local idioms.

In his final quote, I suppose it is possible that the two Americans he
refers to are Mike Farmer and Robert Ward who I am informed were going
there after their short visit back to Cali, Columbia.

I would infer from this last message, that if indeed the "Gringos" are
(over) paying for meteorites, than there is no longer any doubt that
the fragments being collected are indeed meteorites.

I am pleased to contribute this information to the m-list.

Kevin Kichinka

>From Gonzalo -

"Hi Kevin -
When I was in the crater I smelled a mineral odor, like the Bolivian
mining, when I begun to pick up some specimens, my hands smelled also.
But I don't believe that this odor was arsenic.

The craters place is a river, some Peruvian villager ask me Why fell on the
river? In one side of the impact crater there is an artesian well (looks
like a small crater), they use this to give water to their llamas.

The meteorite is rare; the color is light gray and some specimens show black
fusion crust. I am sending photos (no goods) of a thin section. The rocks
show chondrites. No ones meteorites that Blaine gave us look like this."

"Hi Kevin, ... but in these days I am in the border of Bolivia and
Peru, looking for meteorites, the Bolivian villagers said that first
something fell on the mountains, and these mountains are hard to climb
and to search rocks because are full of giants rocks..."

"Hi Kevin,
Yesterday I was in the crater again and this become in a crazy site,
hundreds of peasants looking for meteorites and 4 meteorites hunter for
other countries (2 from USA, 1 from Germany and 1 from Uruguay). They begun
to buy meteorites to the local people and the cost begun to up considerably
(last Friday a friend of mine buy approximately ? kg in 100 Bolivianos (12
$us) Now the gringos are buying this in 150$us."

Best wishes to all.