[meteorite-list] Still waiting on evidence

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:22:04 +0000

Like Fox Mulder's poster said, "I want to believe"...

...but IMHO the jury's still out. I didn't realize that Bob Haag had gone down to look at the site; I would love to read his comments. Anyone have a link to this piece of information?

There are many reasons this could be a meteorite crater, and unfortunately as many reasons it might not be. Whatever it is, I am sure the explanation will be fascinating. Could this be another Tunguska Event on a tiny scale, where after screaming in at near cosmic velocities, the object disintegrates, making a hole but leaving little, if any, residue? Please show me the rock/iron, or other compelling evidence of meteorite strike. The crater seems too small to have generated the marker minerals like coesite(sp?). Presently most of the evidence seems circumstantial, and I await clarification. It took more than 2 months for the NJO to be declared man made debris, and I wouldn't be surprised if it took that long to sort this out one way or another.

Willing to have my mind changed,
Tracy Latimer