[meteorite-list] Experts Skeptical of Peruvian Meteorite Impact

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:10:54 -0600

The point is that we aren't talking about an ordinary meteorite, but a
meteorite that arrives at the ground retaining a hypersonic speed.
That's easier for an iron, because it can potentially survive much
deeper into the atmosphere without being disrupted. I only know of one
documented small crater forming event, and that's Sikhote-Alin (anybody
know of others? Maybe Cali almost qualifies?) Had that body been stony,
it certainly would not have produced any craters, since it would have
shattered much higher and the resulting meteorites would have landed at
low speeds. So I'd argue that a reasonable case could be made that small
crater forming events are going to be weighted towards iron bodies, even
though irons themselves represent only a few percent of falls.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com