[meteorite-list] FW: My Blog on In the Shadow of the Moon

From: Greg Redfern <gredfern_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:08:05 -0400

Hi All,

  You HAVE to go see this movie. I hope you enjoy my review. Here is the
original link:

http://community.myfoxdc.com/blogs/SkyGuy/2007/09/14/In_the_Shadow_of_th
e_Moon_A_Review

"In the Shadow of the Moon" - A Review
Sep 14, 2007 | 6:06 PM
Category: Weather

This post has been selected for display on the Community Pages what's
this?

Featured On: MyFoxDC

Hi Fellow Fox 5'ers!

Well, I saw "In the Shadow of the Moon" today and I hope all of you go
see it. You do not have to be a lunatic or space nut to enjoy and
appreciate this excellent examination of a pivotal, if not the most
important, moment in history.

The film tells us the personal story of 10 men who went to the Moon from
1969 to 1972. There are gems in their stories that I have never heard
before - like Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11, the 2nd man on the Moon -
confiding to us that he "partially filled" a urine bag while on the last
rung of the lunar module. He follows up by saying, "we all had our own
firsts on the Moon."

The music is wonderful as are the close ups of these men, especially
when seen contrasted to how they looked so long ago. To a man their eyes
are still sharp and their memories of being at the Moon are vivid, as
they should be. Each of them expresses how their lunar flight changed
them forever.

The film is done in synchronization with what was going in the U.S. at
the time - assassinations, the Vietnam war, racial issues and the
opening of America to the "new age".

The film deals with the tragedy of the Apollo 1 fire, muses on what
President Kennedy would have thought about it all if he had lived, and
shows us the speech as read by President Nixon that was to be delivered
if Apollo 11 failed and the two on the Moon were doomed.

For Mountaineerfan Shadow deals with the conspiracy nuts who contend the
lunar landing never happened - but I will not give that part away. Hint,
hint Mountaineerfan.

Almost all of these men of the Moon had a common theme - the fragility,
the uniqueness, the oasis beauty of our planet. Many of them experienced
a spiritual awakening from having gone to the Moon....a sense of the
Universe and how we are all so very, very lucky to be alive on this
planet of life.

There is much for the human spirit to contemplate and enjoy in this
nostalgic look at the best thing humanity has accomplished so far. Wars,
religions, fads and the evil we do will not be remembered in the time to
hopefully come for mankind. Our first steps onto another world, however,
will be.

We are entering a new lunar age fellow Fox 5'ers. Some of us were around
for Apollo and some weren't. Japan has launched a new mission to the
Moon and others are to follow from India, China and the U.S. NASA is
preparing for a manned return to the Moon by 2020 and this time I hope
we stay.

Seeing the lunar landscape from orbit and as the astronauts moved about
its' surface while watching the film brought me to think about all the
times I have looked at the Moon in the sky, through my telescopes and
held a piece of it in my hand. It is my favorite place in the Universe
and I can never get enough of it.

You will be glad you see this film -
http://www.intheshadowofthemoon.com/

All the best,