[meteorite-list] Piece of Willamette Meteorite to be Auctioned

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:31:15 -0400

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:57:05 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>My guess would be that the consensus of the archaeologists and
>anthropologists, whom I knew, would be that the feelings of a typical
>member of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde towards
>auctioning off this piece of the Willamette Meteorite would be
>equivalent what a Roman Catholic would feel if someone had
>obtained possession of a large piece of artwork from the Sistine
>Chapel and was auctioning it off at either Southby's or Christie's.

Thanks for the detailed reply-- it is in my nature to be cynical/skeptical of
claims of ownership for something with monetary value.

A wise man once said:

"You won. All right? You came in and you killed them and you took their land.
That's what conquering nations do. It's what caesar did, and he's not going
around saying, 'I came, I conquered, I felt really bad about it.' The history of
the world isn't people making friends. You had better weapons, and you massacred
them. End of story."

(Okay, at least one person on the list is going to "get" that quote pretty
quickly without the help of google...)