[meteorite-list] Greensburg Eco-Town with Eco-Bulldozers, Off Topic

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 00:45:44 EDT

Hey Guys,

First, I apologize that this is slightly off topic, but it does end with a
meteorite related topic.

This past Monday afternoon, one of my Greensburg neighbors called me and
asked if the City of Greensburg had given me notice that they were going to
bulldoze my house? I told him "No" and he said "Well, they just bulldozed it a
couple of hours ago!"

For those of you that don't know, my house in Greensburg was hit by the
tornado, and I lost half of my roof. I sustained a lot of damage inside, but I
still felt the house was worth restoring. Waiting for cash flow to pick up, I
had not yet made any major repairs, only cleaning up and putting a tarp over
the missing part of the roof.

Well, maybe the city officials didn't think my old house was Eco-friendly
enough to stick around in their new "green" environment, so they just took it
upon themselves to get it out of the way, who knows???

So much for having an Extreme Home Makeover TV show made on the restoration,
drats!!!

So now I have a clean lot in Greensburg, and I am waiting for them to send
me a bill for their demolition efforts, and to raise my taxes at the same time
I'm sure. I guess I am no longer a (part-time) resident of Greensburg since
I don't have house to "reside in" anymore. It is kind of a disenfranchised
feeling. My house survives the F5 Tornado only to succumb to the Caterpiller
D5 Bulldozer.

I am thinking about erecting a billboard on my lot where my house used to be
telling my story, but somehow I don't think the city would appreciate that
too much. Maybe if I made it out of recycled material, it might be a "green"
enough thing to do...humm.

I do want to say, that while I am very upset with the Greensburg City
Officials (at least the one that signed the work order for my house to be razed), I
am still very supportive of the PEOPLE of Greensburg. In fact, having to
suffer with bad city leadership is an even bigger reason to reach out to the
people of Greensburg with support.

For any of you that are concerned about the fundraiser, understand that the
money raised for it is not going to the town government, but rather to a fund
that is helping the victims, to real people.

Steve Arnold