[meteorite-list] Cool NWA (Probable) Meteorite Wrong Photos - an artifact too?

From: Thaddeus Besedin <endophasy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 15:53:00 -0700 (PDT)

Dean,
Notice that your stone has terminal percussive pitting
(series of parabolic concavities with patination) and
probable striations/flattening on a lateral surface
from grinding. You may have a prehistoric ground stone
tool in addition to an interesting tuff/"polymict
eucrite." The stone seems to have collapsed pumiceous
glass clasts visible on an uncut surface in
http://www.meteoriteshop.com/temp/rock3.jpg. If
terrestrial, it could be classified as an andesitic
ignimbrite. Is quartz present? Achondritic
brecciated-xenolithic igneous materials (I would not
call this a breccia) will usually not contain rounded
xenolithic clasts, which can be interpreted as foreign
materials derived from crystalline igneous-metamorphic
and consolidated and unconsolidated sediments from
local alluvial/colluvial materials intruded by magma
or incorporated upon deposition of pyroclastic ejecta.
The pink clasts seem suspect and look similar to
rounded ashfall tuff granules, but may be K-feldspar
or a non-volcanic siltstone if not any other
homogeneous, mineral stained material. Oxidation in
such clasts occurred previous to the formation of the
rock.
Next time, include an object of commonly known size
for scale.