[meteorite-list] My first Carancas piece arrived today

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2007 20:31:12 UT

Hello Bob King, Graham Ensor, Jeff Kuyken, and List,

The first of my three Carancas pieces from Erwin Rivera arrived today.
This one weighs 2.71 grams. A lot of interesting things, especially when
compared to what other Carancas owners observe:

Bob King wrote:

"I searched my 1.5g piece carefully but couldn't find any sign of a chondrule.
This surprised me given its H4/5 classification. No obvious troilite inclusions
stand out."

Hardly any chondrules here either except for three or four intact chondrules
sitting on and protruding from the surrounding matrix where it is exposed.
The chondrules have a black envelope and are covered with tiny, powdery
(dusty) matrix material.

Graham Ensor wrote:

"The black crust like areas are heavily ridged just as they
appear...they almost look like surfaces that have been extruded"

I can confirm this observation as the fusion-crusted or slickensided
(does such a word exist?) part of my piece also shows this striation
(by slippage).

With regard to troilite, Bob King wrote: "No obvious troilite inclusions stand out."

and Graham wrote: "Shot 17 I think. This shot also shows some metal...
centre picture. Could this be troilite or nickel iron? It also appears striated.

Now, that's interesting as my piece contains numerous, golden specks of troilite!

Best wishes,

Bernd