[meteorite-list] Fw: New Issue: Magnetite crystals in ALH 84001

From: Francis Graham <francisgraham_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:33:16 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List,
   But indeed.
   Are the crystals formed by shock in the form
truncated hexoctahedral?
The magnetite crystals were truncated hexoctahedral, a
type of crystal structure that is optimized for
magnetotaxis by bacteria on Earth.
  It seems like it is always possible to find some
sort of nonbiological physical process that will
reproduce some biologically produced chemical or
crystal. If that's the criterion used to rule out
life, we shall always rule it out.

Francis Graham

http://www.psrd.hawaii.edu/Oct07/magnetite-origin.html