[meteorite-list] Mars and Beyond

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:02:06 -0600

Hi Gary, Listees,

Looks like the source of that Mars rock you kindly investigated a while back
:-) Just kidding!!!

You probably mean the sand pit called "El Dorado" at the foot of Husband
Hill and behind "Home Plate", I would guess a number of reasons were
responsible for the borrosity:

1. The bright area in the fore/middleground ("Home Plate") is probably the
brightest part of the panorama. The Sand pit behind known as "El Dorado" is
probably the darkest part of the panorama. And they are practically on top
of each other in the mosaic.

2. "El Dorado" may be somewhat dynamic and also a haze of silt near it
sometimes, like "Pigpen" in Charlie Brown.

3. To make a composite image, they have to equalize the brightness
somewhat. Like trying to show detail a rich black Eucrite fusion crust in a
photo together with an off white matrix. This calls for selective
"alteration" of the image.

Considering the silt in the air, reaching into the darker pixels in the pit
below Husband Hill, and then wanting to emphasize, or at least give an idea
of the wavy sand patterns in the pit for a full appreciation of the
panorama, this is probably the result, which would then need to be blurred
or faded in some way as to not make obvious discontinuities in the image
that would make viewing less natural vs. our wonderfly versitile human eye
if we were the roving geologist on site...

Hope that holds the aliens at bay:-) (But you gotta know it won't)