[meteorite-list] Comet Holmes

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:12:17 -0500

Hi,

Thanks for the try, but I was hoping some observatory
would do spectra on this outburst. Since the last outburst
was in 1893, there would be no spectroscopy since!

This would explain why it wasn't in even the most complete
references. Holmes has been coma-free until now.

I just hope somebody somewhere in a professional facility
finds a hole in their schedule (big telescopes being scheduled
to the minute months ahead) and does one. The gases of the
coma of Holmes may be a perfectly conventional mixture --
or not.

Never know unless you do some measurements. Generally
the head of the coma (being dust) is just reflected sunlight
anyway; you need a nice tail to identify the gases, and
Holmes has not yet "grown" a tail, poor puppy.

And even if it does, we may not be well-positioned to view it.
Would be nice to know, though...

Sterling K. Webb