[meteorite-list] best meteowrong, yet

From: Ken Newton <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:37:56 -0400

(Oops, last two didn't go thru, one more time)

Jason and McKinney,
I agree with you. Both McKinney's items and those of ebay seller
'kingjamesvi' appear to be ferrochromanganese. see:
http://meteorite-identification.com/hotrocks.html

Bob Verish has done more research on this. Check out his article in
Meteorite-Times:
http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2007/jul07.htm
Best,
ken

Jason Utas wrote:

Hello 'Mckinney Trammell,' All
Right - if I'm not mistaken, the supposed Mojave iron meteorite
similar to Albion, from ebay...well...
It looks like slag/metal production waste (those bubbles are pretty
telling), or maybe the result of some smelting gone-awry. The
texture's rather off for meteorites, disregarding even the porosity;
it looks highly granular - even more so than a recrystallized
meteorite...more like low-quality smelting products.
You state that they're brittle, like meteorites...iron meteorites
aren't brittle, and the crust that you mention is probably a product
of oxidation, whether from the elements or from exposure to extreme
heat (which would speed up oxidation of iron in a manner that might
fool someone looking for fusion crust).
I've gambled on ebay before, and have yet to be disappointed; that's
one I chose not to bet on.
Anyone else have any thoughts?
Regards,
Jason