[meteorite-list] Holmes from Mars

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 04:21:46 -0700 (MST)

Hi Don:

Starry Night saves the need of a space suit. John Carter, who did not need
a space suit, also did not need a computer program to get him to Mars!

I still had my try at this running at home with Starry Night 5.x and the
major difference is that the comet is in Cassiopeia. Not a large viewing
difference.

I just checked out the JPL site again, and it actually looks like the
comet is closer to opposition on Mars than on Earth, so the tail should be
less obvious there. This is ignoring the angle created by the fact that
the come is above the plane of the Solar System which could easily make a
viewing difference.

JPL: http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=17P;orb=1

Larry