[meteorite-list] DinosaurS and the K-Y Mas Extinction

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:23:21 -0500

Hi, Mark,

    This because it's another puff piece from
Gerta "The Asteroid Killer" Keller. If you like
to watch someone being ripped to shreds, I think
Smit does a fine job on the incompetent Keller.
http://www.geo.vu.nl/~smit/csdp/debates.htm
(If you're interesting in Chicxulub, you gotta
read the above pages...)

    As for the Traps, the shock wave focused
through the planet and fractured the crust opposite
the Chicxulub impact, letting basalt flood up and
make the Traps, so proving the Traps coincident
with the extinction is the same as proving the impact
did it, to my mind.

     Likewise, the Siberian Traps are from the
not-yet-found Permian impactor. This effect of
big impacts can easily be seen "frozen" in place
on Mercury, in the "chaotic terrain" opposite the
biggest impact basin.

    However, this is now the hot debate topic: could
impacts cause flood vulcanism, and the geologists
just hate the idea (most of'em). Another asteroidal
invasion, as far as many of them are concerned.

Sterling K. Webb