[meteorite-list] Comet Holmes

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:35:28 -0500

Larry, Chris, List

> It crosses the plane... at 4.8 AU.

    Here's a list of 2278 objects which orbit in the
plane of the ecliptic, almost all of which have their
perihelion at or around a median figure of 4.8 AU
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/lists/JupiterTrojans.html

    You're right; I didn't go and look at the ecliptical
crossing points, but this is even better! The Jupiter
Trojans are clustered at Jupiter's L4 and L5 points in
elongated "bananas." Additionally, there are no doubt
even more of them than these 2278 objects presently
catalogued (being discovered by Listmembers, even).
Thousands more.

    They make a fine "dangerous crossing" for a 3.4 km
comet with no working brakes, them dawdling around that
intersection without ever really getting out of the way,
like a crowd of teenagers. And poor 17P's orbit goes
through them once every 81.834 years. That's for both
the Greek camp and the Trojan camp, so 17P runs
the gaunlet every 40 years.

    Of course, the Trojans are not AT perihelion all at
the same time; their aphelia are an AU or so further out.
But Trojans are the only numerous class of bodies that
stay "herded" into one general area all the time (one area
in Jupiter's rotating frame of reference).

    Larry, I realize that you only wanted to get the
Asteroids off the hook, but I think you pointed a
finger at the ones who did it.

Sterling K. Webb