[meteorite-list] More on Steve's 150-gram SA Iron

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2007 22:33:55 UT

Doug kindly wrote:

this attractive iron...does have some interesting
morphology - this * is * quite a curiosity!

It definitely is: *ring irons* are scarce to the best of my knowledge. Maybe we
should replace "oriented" by the word "flight-marked" - a word proposed by Jim
Strope several years ago. Supersizing the pics (I somehow start to like Windows
Vista ;-) reveals subtle flight markings where there are shallow thumbprints.

This is a feature I can also observe in my gorgeous 365-gram Bassikounou individual
from Dean - which, by the way, I dubbed "The Claw" or the "Double Whopper", ...
no, not Dean but the BASSI :-)) But, back now to Steve's SA. What makes it so
interesting morphologically is its ring structure and its (almost exact) similarity
to the right half of the Tucson Ring. Just put two pictures - Steve's SA and a pic of
the Tucson Ring Iron - side by side on your computer screen and you will be astonished
how similar they are, almost identical!

Best wishes,

Bernd