[meteorite-list] Comet Holmes

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:49:02 -0600

In fact, the coma is not entirely symmetric. There is clearly a denser
region which is offset from the nucleus. This may be a product of
whatever caused the outburst, or it may be tail structure seen through
the coma- that remains to be seen.

Our imagination is perhaps contaminated by visions of Armageddon (the
movie) like geysers bursting from the surface, but in reality the escape
of gas may be much less violent. It isn't unreasonable to expect it to
obey the rules of diffusion, and produce a substantially spherical zone
of expanding material. It is likely that the nucleus is spinning.

The best argument against a collision is the absurd improbability of TWO
collisions in the last century, since this comet has a history of
outbursts.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory