[meteorite-list] 17P Holmes

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:51:10 -0600

It requires only a tiny percent of the mass to be ejected in order to
produce an immense coma. Furthermore, the mass almost certainly was
ejected at low velocity, and seems to be fairly isotropic.

The apparent motion of the comet is quite low now, so it will take some
time to get enough measurements to accurately calculate the orbital
elements. But I rather expect that the effect of the outgassing on the
orbit is very small.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory