[meteorite-list] comet holmes

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 18:36:35 -0500

Hi Sterling, Jerry and Listees,

Entertaining treatise Sterling!

Though I think your idea of time won't fly because you are very
over-sexagesimal.

In a perfect future, we would have disposed of the inefficient measure of
time every applied to a decimal world. And hopefully trash all these
confusing angular measurements from the same obsolete 5000 year old Sumerian
system that we are stuck with which re-enfore the seconds, minutes and
hours(degrees) system! Just try using a GPS without getting CTS with all
these useless conversions.

How many people have been turned off from math, and absolutely gone wacky
with trig conversions and needlessly complex coordinate systems, not to
mention poor, poor, poor astronomers that have to deal with all of these
needlessly nasty formulas of time seconds minutes hours and all kinds of
years that always cause typos, incredibly clunky measuring systems and
mistakes in decimalization? 24 hours in a day? 7 days in a week? 12
months in a year but months vary in length? Better yet, 365.242...
something days in a year? 360 degrees in a circle? 60 arcminutes in a
degree? And the Sun measures how many arcseconds means what? The Cesium
133 atom at what location?

Hopefully, we, the forefathers can take an idea from ancient enlightened
France (no doubt Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson would have preferred it
too, but just assumed we'd clean up the mess for them by now).

The "new" unit is the decimal second and everything is base 10's.

For example, when someone says the Sun measures 0.15 chi (32 arcminutes),
you'll know it is 0.15% of a full circle which has 100 degrees all around.
And the telephone company can surcharge us for light-tick (600 microdays,
chis, etc.) if you want, when a call to Venus at three light-ticks (1800
microdays, or chis, etc.) will mean to you delay of 2.59 light minutes.

And all this will fit perfectly into the metric system, and make Poincar?
and Lagrange proud.

A good example of a "new" year"
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/funline/digitime.html

Of course, your light-minute spirit can still fly, as long as we fix the
time.

The future is "just a tick" away...by then we hopefully can figure out how
to get rid of that Cesium isotope, too.
Best wishes,
Doug

PS
Things that scientists mascarade about explaining suddenly will be so
obvious, everyone will know what is going on and scientists will have to
keep busy doing real science. As for distance, there is no problem with
giga and mega, just ask any kid. Not a good idea introducing yet another
arbitrary thing into the mix. The distance light travels in whatever time
period is useful when dealing with interplanetary communication and imaging,
but these distances are always changing above absolute zero, so I don't see
much a point except when making observations or explaining delays in
communicating. There won't be any linear scale for charging for distance
any more than cell phone providers currently surcharge us by our distance
from the nearest cell phone transmission tower. $$$ just depends on who's
network you go roaming to Titan on... some things will never change.