[meteorite-list] Fw: Comet 17P (Holmes) Visible Event !

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:31:20 -0500

Hi, Doug, Walt, List,

Get out those binoculars. Maybe you won't need them...

Posted 49 minutes ago. P17 now 1,000,000 times brighter.
Reported visible to the naked eye from a large city:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/10775326.html
    "Comet expert Gary Kronk expects this object to remain
bright and grow from a starlike point to several arcminutes
across over the next few nights as it makes its way slowly
westward across Perseus. Its position on October 25th (0h UT)
is right ascension 3h 53m, declination +50.1? (equinox 2000),
and by October 30th it will have moved only to 3h 48m, +50.4?.
For those living in the Northern Hemisphere, Perseus is visible
all night at this time of year."

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/071025-comet-holmes.html
with North American 8 pm chart for tonight at:
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=071024-comet-holmes-02.jpg&cap=Comet+Holmes%27+location+as+of+Oct.+24th+at+8+p.m.+local+time+from+midnorthern+latitudes.+

Sterling K. Webb