[meteorite-list] ...Mail or Algeria...

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:22:05 -0500

Hi Walter and List,

>What is "official."

I'm not going to touch that "official" with a ten foot pole by myself.

The MetSoc/USGS online database only lists Brenham and states that in
addition to this being the correct spelling complete with punctuation and
diacritical marks, it trys to also provide any known synonym that may be
encountered.

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/about.html

within 15 Km of Haviland, it returns as "official" names only the anomolous
pallasite called Brenham, and that Haviland for that is a synonym that might
be encountered but is not returned as an "official meteorite name", plus two
other different officially named H5's that were both found and are given the
distinct names Haviland (a) and (b).

Like Glorieta Mountain and Seymchan there are apparently siderite pieces and
pallasite pieces from the same fall which etch the same, etc., according to
posts we've seen on the lists, implying that these bodies had varying mix
regarding the olivine crystals.

The databas explains:

"The primary function of this database is to provide authoritative
information about meteorite names. The correct spelling, complete with
punctuation and diacritical marks, of all known meteorites recognized by the
Meteoritical Society may be found in this compilation. Official
abbreviations for many meteorites are documented here as well. The database
also contains status information for meteorites with provisional names, and
listings for specimens of doubtful origin and pseudometeorites.
In addition, this database is a clearinghouse for basic information about
each meteorite, including the classification, place and year of discovery,
whether if was observed to fall, references to catalogues in which the
meteorite is described, and known synonyms that may be encountered in the
literature."

Hope this helps,
Best Health and Cheers,
Doug