[meteorite-list] ...mali or Algeria ...

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:52:44 EDT

In a message dated 10/22/2007 12:29:16 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
gmhupe at htn.net writes:
Hi Doug and List,

I believe I read in one of the bulletins, "...'Amgala' and its synonym, Oum
Dreyga...". If someone can find that, it would show that the MetSoc does
accept these occurrences in names. Amgala was adapted first because that is
where the fall was first discovered and I think it is where it "started" to
fall, the larger pieces being found towards Oum Dreyga. So, should a fall be
named for where it "started" falling or where the majority of material was
collected?

Best regards,
Greg
------------------------

I just looked it up on the Meteoritical Bulletin Database (who said it was a
great invention? I totally agree!).
I did a search on "Amgala" and it says:

"Synonyms containing "amgala"
Amgala is a synonym for Oum Dreyga (MB89)"

Synonyms have always been accepted and listed. And some meteorites have lots
of synonyms, just look up Canyon Diablo (35 synonyms)!

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA at aol.com
Vice-President, I.M.C.A. Inc.