[meteorite-list] Carancas: Forwarded mail from Bob King

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 22 Oct 2007 15:18:03 UT

Hi Bernd,

I can't seem to post to the list but I have one crusted piece of Carancas and
here is what I see: The slickensides are real and I don't think I've ever seen
anything quite like them. They're black and look like crust but their laminar
appearance suggests either slickensides or some kind of two-dimensional
"shock sheath." It's as if you took a shock vein and spread it out across a
surface. On the other hand, the crust has the appearance of being cleaved so
maybe it really is slickensides. In addition there are a number of fine black
shock veins threading the matrix. Part of the matrix is grey and a bit dusty in
appearance. Under the slickensides however it's very white and I can see a
shock vein or two in the white. I searched my 1.5g piece carefully but couldn't
find any sign of a chondrule. This surprised me given its H4/5 classification. No
obvious troilite inclusions stand out. Some of the matrix appears to be stained
brown, no doubt from clay. And as for smell, there was none that I could detect
but I was overcome with .... curiosity :-) Bob