[meteorite-list] INTERVIEW WITH CARANCAS LOCALS

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 00:50:21 -0500

Hi,

    A 10-ton (2 meter sphere) object impacting at 2 km/s
produces the equivalent of 4.78 tons of TNT. The seismic
measurement in Peru by the IGP was 4.9 tons of TNT.

    It would seem to me that a "parent object" big enough
to cough up a ten-ton hairball might have left other chunks
scattered about the Altiplano. They can't all have gone into
the Lake.

    I still have trouble with the notion that 20,000 pounds
of meteorite survives in the crater. On the other hand, if
the impact spread all of the 20,000 pounds out over the
full reported area of the ejecta blanket, it works out to 8
milligrams (0.008 grams) of dust per square centimeter,
an amount so tiny you'd hardly notice it, except near the
rim, where people did notice and collect it.

    Is it a "clever" meteorite, hiding in plain sight?

Sterling K. Webb