[meteorite-list] Carancas unprecedented Fame ?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:23:53 -0500

Hi, Bob, List,

    Mike Farmer wrote here on the List (10-09-07):
"I interviewed many people, most saw the fall, saw
a bright flash, a small mushroom cloud of steam/dust
that came up and lingered for some time. Everyone
felt the grond shake, and heard huge explosion.
As the meteorite came overhead, there was a painful
sound of a jet engine, only much louder is how most
people described it. One man said he was blown
down be the blast, could be the same guy. The
sounds were loud enough to break windows in
Desaguadero and Carancas, and the impact shook
the ground like an earthquake."

    Yes, first of all, one local inhabitant of Carancas,
Don Gregorio Iruri, was standing only 300 meters
from the point of impact at the time of the impact.
He was knocked flat. This was reported by the Bolivian
team two days after the impact. I suppose the guy
Mike talked to was Don Gregorio (or Mr. Lucky,
as I call him).

    Two grazing animals, nearer to the impact than
300 meters, were apparently killed, but that has
been harder to substantiate. But there's nothing
inherently impossible about it. I can absolutely
tell you I wouldn't want any closer look than about
500 meters (with a telephoto lens) if I could have
been there... Remember, if there's enough shock
to flatten you at 300 meters, there's 9 times as
much shock at only 100 meters. How hard is it
to kill sheep?

    If you want to know what kills people, you ask
the folks whose job it is to kill people:
http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001969.html
    "An instantaneous explosive overpressure of
50 psi [pounds per square inch] is needed to kill.
But one sustained for a fraction of a second at
10 psi is also lethal."

    I've been trying to scale the overpressure that
would knock a man flat at 300 meters with the size
of explosion required, but am stymied by the fact
that all the tables of overpressure and distance are
based on nuclear airbursts and a meteorite impact
is a ground burst, and so far I can't calculate the
explosive force. Working on it.

    There's lots of photos of the house with the
whonk in the roof, so no proof problem there.

Sterling