[meteorite-list] Carancas, Peru Meteorite Could Be 10 Tons

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:06:42 -0700 (PDT)

Matteo, they have no plans to recover the meteorite.
It sits, today one month and one day under sewage
water. What do you think a fragile high-metal
meteorite will look like after that? Peru is a
disgrace. I offered to fund the excavation, I was
ridiculed, called a thief (by the same police who sold
me pieces then robbed me) and a scam artist and had to
flee the country. Carancas will not be dug up in time
to save it, the few puny pieces my friends and I and a
few others managed to save are all that is out there.
This meteorite has already been classified, and
submitted to the nomcom, and expect information
shortly when it is released for me to provide.
The Carancas fall will go down in history as a
disgrace for Peru, since they trashed their first
confirmed meteorite fall, leaving it in dirty water
now for months. Their scientists are more concerned
about their own notoriety, not the meteorite. The
government and police all want their hand in the
money-pie, that is why they stopped us from excavating
and trying to save the meteorite, they were being cut
out of the potential profit to be made from it by the
locals. It is surely one of the most corrupt places I
have been, sad to say, but I have never been squeezed
nearly this hard even in more than 40 trips to Africa.
Most of the time, money demands in Africa, Burkina
Faso, Lesotho, etc were $10 or $20.00 not the
thousands demanded of me in Peru.
Michael Farmer

Check out the link to the Lonely Planet thorn tree,
where travelers post advice and complete, read how
corrupt the police are in Desaguadero.

http://search.lonelyplanet.com/search.do?Ntt=desaguadero&x=10&y=13

 come Meteorite Meteorites