[meteorite-list] Mysterious Circular Structure Near Chemult, Oregon

From: Cj .. <cj_peanut_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:47:57 -0700

In the photo which was shown, if you look just to the SE of the 10km legend mark on the photo you will see 2 additional craters the one on the left of the photo being slightly higher. These 2 craters are Hole-In-The-Ground and Big Hole both are generally accepted as Maar craters from exploding volcanic gas. Both craters lie on the shore of an ancient lake. I would venture to guess this is one of those ancient lakes. If you use Google Earth and look at this structure you will see what appears to be secondary craters within the structure. As I personally have not been out there yet, I am not ruling out the possibility of an impact crater though is seems somewhat unlikely.

Cj Lebel