[meteorite-list] Mystery Sound Rattles Windows, Residents in Missouri

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:48:41 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.newstribune.com/articles/2007/10/09/news_local/083local03boom.txt

Mystery sound rattles windows, residents; baffles officials
By Jeff Haldiman
News Tribune (Missouri)
October 12, 2007

Around 12:20 p.m. Monday, a series of loud booms was heard in many parts
of Jefferson City and Cole County.

The origin remains a mystery, but an aircraft breaking the sound barrier
is considered the most likely cause.

Numerous calls were received at the 911 center. Some reports indicated
the noises rocked and shook buildings, but authorities reported no
damage being attributed to the booms.

Police went to the area where crews are working on the City View
interchange. Blasting has been taking place to reshape the land, but
workers said they were not blasting at that time. However, they did hear
the booms, just as other citizens had.

"If that were a blasting incident, something catastrophic would have
happened," said Jefferson City Fire Department Education Officer Jason
Turner, who said their department got a number of calls and e-mails from
citizens wondering what had happened.

"After we got the calls we started checking with those contractors who
had blasting permits at this time and all were not blasting when the
booms were heard," he said.

Streaks were spotted in the sky by police officers not long after the
booms were heard, making them believe it was an airplane breaking the
sound barrier.

Officers called the control tower at the Jefferson City Memorial Airport
to see if they could find out from the FAA what had taken place.
Although no definitive answer was found, all indications pointed to a
sonic boom.

Since Monday was a state and federal holiday, the Missouri National
Guard was not flying their planes, according to spokesperson Capt. Tammy
Spicer.

"Most of our activity would be down at Ft. Leonard Wood, where we do
have a bombing range," she said. "Because it was a holiday I would be
shocked to find out someone was flying around, unless it was a something
set up ahead of time."

The Missouri National Guard does have a squad of F-15's based at Lambert
Airport in St. Louis.