[meteorite-list] Carancas article in peru news today.

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:15:28 -0700 (PDT)

I spoke with people in Carancas today, no-one can get
near the crater, about 500 meters is closest. They
plan to try and cover it! I guess the simple fact that
the low spot will fill with water, and the crater will
dissolve from the inside and outside does not matter
to the. I told them that, anyone with a brain can see
that the area will fill with water, a roof will do
nothing to change that.
Again, this is Peru, they were not receptive to my
advice, they don't like "gringos" down there, and they
think they know what they are doing. I have been
saying it for a week, they want the meteorite to lay
in the muddy water for some months to "cure" I guess.
Sadly, the Caranas meteorite will go down as yet
another government sanctioned debacle.
Michael Farmer

http://www.andina.com.pe/NoticiaDetalle.aspx?id=145083