[meteorite-list] Slickensides vs Shock Veins Revisited

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:59:44 -0400

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 19:33:52 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Hello Graham, Bernd, list
>
>While there is no technical definition of a "shock
>vein" so far as I know, it is in wide use and I hold
>it to be a version of a "healed" fracture

I was re-examining with a 20x loupe today an unclassified NWA I've had for a
couple of years and was remineded of recently, and it made me think of this
thread-- it has especially fine "shock veins" that branch like a little
lightning bolt in the stone. (Both halves together weigh 41 grams):

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/temp/white_nwa_inside.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/temp/white_nwa_outside.jpg