[meteorite-list] Publications of the Carancas event ADDITIONAL

From: Mark Crawford <mark_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 23:52:29 +0100

Don't know about seismic, but it appears to have shown up on infrasonic:

[from spaceweather.com]

*PERUVIAN METEORITE UPDATE: *On Sept. 15th, a fireball streaked across
the skies of Peru and soon thereafter a watery crater
<http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2007/08oct07/crater.jpg> was
discovered by local residents near the town of Carancas. At first
experts dismissed the connection; the crater didn't look like a
meteorite impact. But since then minds have changed:

"Without reservation this is definitely a meteorite," says
astronomy professor Peter Brown of the University of Western Ontario.
"We found some infrasound <http://aquarid.physics.uwo.ca/infrasound.htm>
data recorded by a station in La Paz about 70 km away. From the size of
the the airwave we can work out the kinetic energy of the
impactor--about 0.03 kton TNT."

"Something like 20 to 30 kg of the meteorite have already been
recovered, but odds are good a multi-ton monster lurks at the bottom of
the crater," he continues. "The bad news: It is below the water table,
the rainy season is coming and unless some action is taken ASAP, the
rock will quickly oxidize and crumble." [more
<http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2007/08oct07/07_09_21_Carancas_meteorite.pdf>]

Meanwhile, he says, "we are digging for seismic data of the actual
impact--the first actual seismic recording of a terrestrial meteorite
impact!" Stay tuned.