[meteorite-list] Free meteorite references, Other Papers

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:25:56 EDT

Hi Thaddeus, Thanks for the link. I read what I could and even understood
a little! I won't try to explain what I understood or you may realize I
really understood nothing at all! Really cool source of info.

Not starting a new thread, but just adding to this one. I was reading about
the CO3 DaG 749 and came onto a paper written by Marc Fries and Andrew
Steele. Marc is a list member and has shared some insightful observations with
us. Most recently he provided an explanation of the color changes in the
barred chondrule image by John Kashuba and shown in Mikes Meteorite Photo of the
Day.

This paper explains using the Raman Spectrometer to study meteorites and
even Interplanetary Dust in a non destructive way. I have emailed Marc and he
said the Raman could be used to speed up the classification of meteorites by
providing a quick way to sort out such things as carbon (and more) in
samples.

The paper would be of interest to most list members. I couldn't make the
link work. I used copy and paste and it seems #'s at the end of the address
change.

If you Google

"meteorite co3 dag 749 marc fries"

His paper is the first thing that comes up.

Tom

In a message dated 10/9/2007 3:03:57 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,